Here is another blog article I ran across on how to pass pedestrians while walking, running or cycling outside. It’s always good to get other people’s opinions and ideas, as well as the science behind it.
Since I shared my blog post on How To Social Distance While Outside https://tigerlillymama.com/2020/03/25/social-distancing-while-outside/ I have drawn some conclusions that I hope readers might find helpful.
10 “RULES OF THE CORONA ROAD” and tips for safely exercising outside while practicing social distancing.
- “Imagine a person laying down across the street the sidewalk”. If you saw someone laying horizontally across the sidewalk or road, more than likely you would move around them or make an effort not to touch them.
- Choose a less trafficked time. Personally, right after work hours (5-7pm for me) is a nightmare. So many people. And so many groups of people. I now run in the mornings.
- #besafebesmartbekind Not only will you demonstrate good behaviour by moving over, if you smile while you do it, you will help others positively associate with this action, as well as make them feel better.
- Remember, pedestrians (someone on foot) have the right-of-way on a sidewalk. When we ride bikes, we use the sidewalk because it is so dangerous to use the roads here but we still move over for pedestrians. Cyclist should move around a pedestrian(s) on their left side. Pedestrians if you see or hear a cyclist coming at you, or from behind. Stay to the right.
- Not exercising alone?- Switch to single file. Just like in elementary school.
- Walk on the grass. “Grass is not hot lava”. Most sidewalks are not wide enough for someone to safely pass you without someone moving onto the grass and dirt.
- Give way to people with strollers, walkers and wheelchairs.
- Imagine everyone is smoking and you are trying to get around the smoke;
- If a child or children are alone- walk, run or cycle 6 feet around them. You are setting a good example, helping them feel more safe, and children don’t always act like the mature adult that you are showing them to be.
- And finally, you can always wear a t-shirt like mine or run with a 6 foot pole, lightsaber or cat toy 🙂